At this point, with the software still being tweaked, de-bugged, changed, and tested constantly I would not recommend Silhouette CAMEO or Portrait users take the free Silhouette Studio V4 upgrade.
My biggest reasoning for recommending against the Studio V4 update is there is no support for it right now...and users who are attempting or considering to update are warned about this up front and must agree before proceeding.
I know there are some daredevils and early adapters in the group who are going to update to Silhouette Studio 4 - that's actually a good thing. Silhouette needs beta testers in order to make improvements based on real-user feedback - but for the majority of people I would sit tight in Silhouette Studio V3. It is my opinion that the general Silhouette CAMEO or Portrait user - especially beginners - should not update to Silhouette Studio V4...yet.
Don't take this the wrong way - don't take this as me saying V4 is a bad version of Studio. IT IS NOT! In fact I have relatively high praise for this version of Studio and for how much time Silhouette America is taking to get it out and get it out (hopefully) right. (Would I like to see more new features before Studio 4 is fully released to make updating more attractive to users and 'worth it' - yes.) If you were around for the Silhouette Studio V3 roll out you know things didn't go very smoothly. Silhouette is working to ensure history doesn't repeat itself on the next software launch.
So...why am I am saying I would not recommend Silhouette users upgrade to Silhouette Studio 4 at this time? Here are my 6 biggest reasons:
- As I mentioned already, there is no support from Silhouette America for Silhouette Studio V4 therefore they can't help you troubleshoot right now - Silhouette retailers and those of us who blog about Silhouette can also only provide very limited support.
- When saving designs created in Silhouette Studio V4 as .Studio3 files, they will open in Silhouette Studio 3. However, in some versions of V3 they will not open with cut lines and cut lines can't be added making the files almost useless without a trace.
- All tools and features are still present, but have been moved around - and are likely to be modified again.
- The biggest and really the only significant new feature in the current version of Silhouette Studio V4 is the Trace by Color tool. Silhouette America has always maintained more features including font management and object to path are expected to come in later versions of Silhouette Studio 4.
- If you are on a PC and you decided to revert BACK from V4 to a previous version you will have to completely uninstall the software in order to downgrade. This can cause issues with your library, license keys, and any designs you created while using V4 won't be compatible with previous versions.
- By downloading and installing Silhouette Studio V4 in beta, you are agreeing to report bugs and feedback to help developers fix issues, problems, and make the software as user friendly as possible for when it's fully released. If you're not willing to take the time to do that...you should NOT upgrade.
Note: This post may contain affiliate links. By clicking on them and purchasing products through my links, I receive a small commission. That's what helps fund Silhouette School so I can keep buying new Silhouette-related products to show you how to get the most out of your machine!
Get Silhouette School lessons delivered to your email inbox! Select Once Daily or Weekly.